At PIA Obaseki Foundation, we thrive to be a leading Organisation that is dependable and trusted to facilitate child development in Nigeria and beyond for Kids and Teenagers.
The STATE of Things
Children’s rights are a sub-category of human rights with particular attention to the rights of special protection and care afforded to minors irrespective of their age, race, color, sex and status, which include the right to non-discrimination, the right to survival, development, participation and protection.
- Every child has an equitable chance to life
- Every child survives and thrives
- Every child learns
- Abuse in all its forms is a daily reality for many Nigerian children and only a traction ever receive help.
- 6 out of every 10 children experience some form of violence
- 1 in 4 girls and 10% of boys have been victims of sexual abuse; finding its root in social norms, including the use of violent discipline, violence against women which increases children’s vulnerability
- 27% have undergone FGM in the age of 15-49 years
- 30% of children under five years were registered at birth
- 43% of children population are trapped in child labor
- 152 million children worldwide are victims of child labor, 88 million are boys and 64 million are girls.
- Nigeria has the largest number of child marriage in Africa with more than 23 million girls and women who were married as children
What PIA Obaseki Foundation is doing...
- Develops, coordinates and implements social norms and strategies to end violence against children, including child marriage, FGM and other harmful traditional practices.
- Encourages child registration at birth
- Provides psycho-social support for children
- Protects the right of the child and also ensures justice for every violator of a child’s rights
- Collaborates with Security Agencies and other NGOs to secure the rights of every child
- Strengthens capacities of Government and key stakeholders and social justice that prevent and respond to violence against children.
- Raises awareness on the importance of education for all children.